A bowtie diagram visualizes the risk you are dealing with in one understandable picture. The diagram is shaped like a bow tie, creating a clear differentiation between the proactive and reactive side of risk management.
The advantages of using Bowtie Method is analyzed as below:
1. Advantages in Risk Analysis
Bowtie-modeled risk is comprehensive.
A bowtie makes risk interpretation easier.
- It shows a visualized overview of a hazard.
- It provides all the critical information of risk, such as threats, critical events, consequences, barriers…
- It shows scenarios clearly with a cause-effect logic.
- It shows the weakness of scenarios and can help risk informed decision-making.
A bowtie helps communicate risk.
- It is simple, concise and straight to the point.
- It provides a common language for risk communication.
- It shows the result of risk assessment, including inherent and residual risk.
- It shows the risk controls through setting barriers in scenarios.
- It displays the effectiveness and other properties of barriers.
2. Advantages in Management Delivery
Barrier-based risk management is systematic.
The activities in a bowtie diagram make it easy to manage barriers.
Management activities assure the functioning of barriers. Activities are used to describe regular recurring tasks, such as maintenance and training. They are shown in a bowtie and assigned to particular barriers.
The activities in a bowtie diagram connect barriers to management systems.
Management systems contain activities attached to barriers.
Activities are specific tasks elaborated according to the safety management systems, like training, maintenance.
3. Advantages in Monitoring & Review
Monitoring and review improve risk management systems continuously.
The CGE product suite facilitates incident registration and barrier review.
- Incidents can be recorded and shown on bowties.
- The failure mode of barriers can be reviewed.
- Organizations can learn from bowties using historical data.
The CGE product suite facilitates barrier monitoring and management review.
- The performance of barriers can be shown on bowties.
- Management activities can be reviewed.
- Organizations can gain performance data on barriers and management activities.
Learn more on our BowtieXP – Visual Risk Assessment